Seeing rock used in planting beds as opposed to bark is becoming more common, so let's talk about why you would or wouldn't want to follow the trend.
- One and done - once you put in rock, it isn't likely to blow away or get shuffled around
- Doesn't fade in color significantly
- Easier to weed and maintain in general
- Has a striking and modern look
- Much higher up front cost
- Heavier and more labor intensive to transport and put down
- Less expensive up front
- Lighter and easier to transport and put down
- Has a soft and traditional look
- Often times blows away and gets shuffled around - especially on a slope
- Can fade in color significantly with time
- Will eventually need to be replenished
When it comes down to it, both are good and realistic options. It mostly depends on your individual situation and the look you are going for. If you still are having a hard time deciding, here are some lovely examples of both that will hopefully help you decide what you prefer!